Friday, September 14, 2012

Salzkammergut Trophy - the magic 15th - race wrap up


As for my race wrap up:
It was meant to be: my 15th Trophy enterprise went awry big time as I lined up with viral infection, accompanied with temperatures, etc. Moreover, after 20 marathons this season I have been anything but fresh and up to the task. That said, having high spirits and being keen to do my utmost is the battle half won.
The usual kick off at 5 am with 600 hundred hungry contenders is the common practiced scene. It’s been obvious from the get-go, it is a far away from finishing it off easily , so I had to reframe accordingly and do it one mile at a time, and just go as far as can and I fall over from total exhaustion.  There is no rolling or coasting on this parcours, nor is weakness tolerated. And that calls for switching into a ‘survival-mode’.  After passing the 50km mark, though, my faith I can do the half distance has grown. It is just about to accept the momentary state of being out of contention and to ride at low speed. To make my misery complete, I flatted a couple of times even tough riding a brand new material. That being said, none of those circumstances had derailed me from my aim, to keep on and trust in miracles. Lo and behold, despite running out even the last drops of power, my desire to carry on has been so high, that I made up my mind to follow through till the bitter end, whatever comes. Sadly, my joint pains due to the fever had me stop at km 151 and see a doctor in the med-tent. By this time I had my 5th tire damage. I asked for some pain killer and when the doc asked me for the purpose and heard me admitting what I have got, he immediately took away my bike and keeping from riding on in the process. A heavy rain started to set in and I was barely staying on my own legs.
In hindsight I’m grateful for having been forced out of the contention, as I would have been unable to withdraw voluntarily. My fondness for the race didn’t take any harm, though. It is just an unfinished business, and in 12 month it’s so far again. Then hopefully at full health and applying common sense.


































No comments:

Post a Comment